AustinMachine.com – 207-490-1500
Austin Machine began in the mid-1970’s by Chip Austin as a loosely organized offshoot of his grandfather’s gunsmithing shop and his father’s motorcycle shop “Trailsport Bulltaco”. Chip was 16 years old. Chip’s first paying Austin Machine job was fixing a high school friends Bronco driveshaft on the bike shop’s lathe. Soon after another one showed up, after that word spread and that was the beginning of Austin Machine building driveshafts!
Growing up with two talented family members who were constantly building and modifying everything from guns and Model T’s to bulldozers, ignited Chip’s interest in all things mechanical at a young age.
By 1984, Austin Machine had moved into its first purpose-built building. In 1990, the expanding business moved to a larger building down the road in South Sanford. Since 2002, the current location is an even larger facility now housing the machine shop, driveshaft fabrication, exhaust systems construction and installation, plus specialty welding and machine shop services.
Here are some of our recent projects on Facebook!
The photo below is Chip Austin’s family gun store circa 1965
Left to right, Louis Austin ( grandfather), Sandi Austin (sister), Chip Austin, Bob Austin behind counter ( Chip & Sandi’s Dad). Other person unknown…